as for version below 4.0, it's not possible because lucene's score
model. position information is stored, but only used to support phrase
query. it just tell us whether a document is matched, but we can boost
a document. The similar problem is : how to implement proximity boost.
for 2 search terms, we need return all docs that contains this 2
terms. but if they are phrase, we give it a largest boost. if there is
a word between them, we give it a smaller one. if there are 2 words
between them, we will give it smaller score. ....
all this ranking algorithm need more flexible score model.
I don't know whether the latest trunk take this into consideration.