Hi Richard,

> An attempt to add a single document and commit is taking many minutes but the
> time taken is not consistent.

Are you committing after every doc?  If so, don't do it. :)  Check Solr ML
archives (e.g. http://search-lucene.com/ ) for past discussions on this topic.

Do you have any sort of Solr and server monitoring from which you can share any
numbers/observations?  If not, see http://sematext.com/spm

Some questions to help:
* version of Java
* heap size and other JVM params
* RAM size
* disk IO before and during indexing
* CPU usage before and during indexing
* commit frequency
* ...

Otis
----
Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase -
http://sematext.com/spm