By removing the defType you reverted to using the traditional Solr/Lucene query parser which supports the particular query syntax you used (as long as "AND" is in upper-case) and without the parenthesis bug of edismax.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: Peter Kirk
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:23 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: simple query help

Hi

If I understand the terms correctly, the search-handler was configured to use "edismax".

The start of the configuration in the solrconfig.xml looks like this:

<requestHandler name="/search" class="solr.SearchHandler" default="true">
   <lst name="defaults">
     <str name="defType">edismax</str>

In any case, when I commented-out the "deftype" entry, and restarted the solr webapp, things began to function as I expected.

But whether or not it was simply the act of restarting - I'm not sure. (I had also found out that "AND " and "OR" should be written in uppercase, but this made no difference until after I had restarted).

Thanks for your time,
Peter