Thank you for quick replies.

Can't the ID (uniqueKey) of the indexed documents (i.e. denormalized data)
be a combination of the master product id and the child product id ?
  -- We do not need it as each child is already a unique key.

Therefore whenever you update your master product db entry, you simply
need  to reindex documents depending on the master product entry.
  -- This is where the confusion might be. I may have misread it but Apache
Solr3 Enterprise Search, it mentions that "if any part of the document
needs to be updated, the entire document must be replaced. Internally this
is a deletion and an addition". Is re-indexing all detail records a huge
performance hit? Assuming that a master can have upto 10 to 20k of child
records?

Thanks again.

Sohail