Is there a simple way to get solr to maintain shards as rolling partitions by
date, e.g., the last day's documents in one shard, the week before yesterday
in the next shard, the month before that in the next shard, and so on? I
really don't need querying to be fast on the entire index, but it is
critical that it be blazing fast on recent documents.

A related but different question: in which config file can I change the
default hash function to assign documents to shards? This outdated post
  http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NewSolrCloudDesign
seems to suggest that you can define your own hash functions as well as
assign hash ranges to partitions, but I am not sure whether or how solr 3.6
supports this. For that matter, I don't know whether or how SolrCloud (that
I understand is available only in solr4) supports this.