I've also tried a lot of tricks to get xpointer working with multiple child
elements, to no success.
In the end, I've resorted to a less pretty, other-way-around solution. I do
something like this:
solrconfig_common.xml -> no xml declaration, no root tag, no nothing
<etc></etc>
<etc2></etc2>
For each file that I need the common stuff into, I'd do something like this:
solrconfig_master.xml/solrconfig_slave.xml/etc.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE config [
        &lt;!ENTITY solrconfigcommon SYSTEM
&quot;solrconfig_common.xml&quot;>
        ]>

<config>
    &solrconfigcommon;

</config>

Solr starts with 0 warnings, the configuration is properly loaded, etc.
Property substitution also works, including inside the
solrconfig_common.xml. Hope it helps anyone.