Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 5:37 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr 4.0 Clean Commit for production use

: Hey guys, I am trying to upgrade to Solr 4.0. Do you know where I get a clean

Clarification: 4.0 does not exist yet.  What does exist is the 4x branch,
from which you can build snapshots that should be very similar to what
will eventually be released as 4.0.

: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/
: and it looks like they have migrated to 5.0. From the link below it looks

Correct, a 4x branch has been created off of trunk in anticipation of the
4.0 release process, so that more agressive experimental work beyond hte
scope of 4.0 can continue on trunk.

I've update the wiki to try and outline this based on the discussion from
previous dev@lucene threads...

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr4.0

: My second question would be: Are there any known compatibility
: issues/restrictions with previous versions of Lucene? (I just want to make
: sure I can still use my data indexed with previous Solr/Lucene versions).

The best thing to do is review the "Upgrade" instructions in CHANGES.txt,
however those instructions hsould not be consdiered "Final" untill the
final release is voted on -- there may be mistakes/ommissions, but the
best way to help find those mistakes/ommisions is for users to help try
out nightly builds and point them out when you notice them.

-Hoss