Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> schrieb am 12.06.2012 19:19:01:

> On Jun 12, 2012, at 3:39 AM, lenz...@gfi.ihk.de wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > we tested SolrCloud in a setup with one collection, two shards and one

> > replica per shard and it works quite fine with some example data.
> > Now, we plan to set up our own collection and determine in how many
shards
> > we should devide it.
> > We can estimate quite exactly the size of the collection, but we don't

> > know, what the best approach for sharding is,
> > even if we know the size and the amount of queries and updates.
> > Is there any documentation or a kind of design guidelines for sharding
> > collection in SolrCloud?
> >

> > Thanks & regards,
> > Norman Lenzner
>

> It's hard to tell - I think you want to start with an idea of how
> many docs you can fit on a single node. This can vary wildly
> depending on many factors. Generally you have to do some testing
> with your particular config and data. You can search the mailing
> lists and perhaps dig up a little info, but there is really no
> replacement for running some tests with real data.
>
> Then you have to plan in your growth rate - resharding is naturally
> a relatively expensive operation. Once you have an idea of how many
> docs per machine you think seems comfortable, figure out how
> machines you need given your estimated doc growth rate and perhaps
> some padding. You might not get it right, but if you expect the
> possibility of a lot of growth, erring on the more shards side is
> obviously better.
>
> - Mark Miller
> lucidimagination.com

Hello and thanks for your reply,

We will run some tests to determine the size of our collection, but I
think, there
won't be the need of a second shard at all. The problem is not the size or
the growth of
the docs, but there will be a quite high update frequency. So, if we have
many bulk updates, is
it reasonable to distribute the update load on multiple shards?

Thanks & regards,
Norman Lenzner