> Does a *:* query with no sorting work?

Well, this is interesting. Leaving q= as it was, but removing the sort,
makes the whole thing work.

And if you were thinking of asking whether the sort field is a date, the
answer is yes, it's an indexed and stored DateField. It's also on the list
of fields whose values I am requesting with fl=.

So I guess this is likely to be the date that is somehow turning up in the
ClassCastException. Great suggestion. Thanks, Cody.

Now I'm wondering if anyone familiar with the Field Collapsing code can
see a possible vector for a bug, given this fleshing out of the bug
conditions.

-- Bryan