1. precisionStep is used for ranging query of Numeric Fields. see
http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_5_0/api/all/org/apache/lucene/search/NumericRangeQuery.html
2. positionIncrementGap is used for phrase query of multi-value fields
e.g. doc1 has two titles.
   title1: ab cd
   title2: xy zz
   if your positionIncrementGap is 0, then the position of the 4 terms
are 0,1,2,3.
   if you search phrase "cd xy", it will hit. But you may think it
should not match
   so you can adjust positionIncrementGap to a larger one. e.g. 100.
   Then the positions now are 0,1,100,101. the phrase query will not match it.