Bruno:

You can also reduce your memory requirements by storing fewer unique values.
All the _unique_ values for a field in the index are read in for
sorting. People often
store timestamps in milliseconds, which essentially means that every
document has
a unique value.

Storing your timestamps in the coarsest granularity that suits your use-case is
always a good idea, see the date math:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api-4_0_0-ALPHA/org/apache/solr/util/DateMathParser.html

Best
Erick