David,

Thanks for such a detailed response. The data volume I mentioned is the
total set of records we have - but we would never ever need to search the
entire base in one query; we would divide the data by region or zip code.
So, in that case I assume that for a single region, we would not have more
than 200M records (this is real , we have a region with that many records).

So, I can assume that I can create shards based on regions and the requests
would get distributed among these region servers, right? You also mentioned
about ~20 concurrent queries per shard - do you have links to some
benchmarks? I am very interested to know about the hardware sizing details
for such a setup.

About setting up Solr for a single shard, I think I will go by your advice.
Will see how much a single shard can handle in a decent machine :)

The reason why I came up with that figure was, I have a user base of 500k
and theres a lot of activity which would happen on the map - every time
someone moves the tiles, zooms in/out, scrolls, we are going to send a
server side request to fetch some data ( I agree we can benefit much using
caching but I believe Solr itself has its own local cache). I might be a bit
unrealistic with my 10K rps projections but I have read about 9K rps to map
servers from some sources on the internet.

And, NO, I don't work for Google :) But who knows we might be building
something that can get so much traffic to us in a while. :D

BTW, my question still remains - can we do search on polygonal areas on the
map? If so, do you have any link where i can get more details? Bounding Box
thing wont work for me I guess :(

Sam