On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Nagendra Nagarajayya
<nnagaraja...@transaxtions.com> wrote:
> Realtime NRT algorithm enables NRT functionality in
> Solr by not closing the Searcher object  and so is very fast. I am in the
> process of contributing the algorithm back to Apache Solr as a patch.

Since you're in the process of contributing this back, perhaps you
could explain your approach - it never made sense to me.

Replacing the reader in an existing SolrIndexSearcher as you do means
that all the related caches will be invalid (meaning you can't use
solr's caches).  You could just ensure that there is no auto-warming
set up for Solr's caches (which is now the default), or you could
disable caching altogether.  It's not clear what you're comparing
against when you claim it's faster.

There are also consistency and concurrency issues with replacing the
reader in an existing SolrIndexSearcher, which is supposed to have a
static view of the index.  If a reader replacement happens in the
middle of a request, it's bound to cause trouble, including returning
the wrong documents!

-Yonik
http://lucidimagination.com