Hello all,

I’m testing out the new join feature, hitting some perf
issues, as described in Erick’s article
(http://architects.dzone.com/articles/solr-experimenting-join).

Basically, I’m using 2 objects in solr (this is a simplified
view):

Item

- Id

- Name

Grant

- ItemId

- AvailabilityStartTime

- AvailabilityEndTime

Each item can have multiple grants attached to it.

The query I'm using is the following, to find items by
name, filtered by grants availability window:

solr/select?fq=Name:XXX&q={!join
from=ItemId to=Id} AvailabilityStartTime:[* TO NOW] AND -AvailabilityEndTime:[*
TO NOW]

With a hundred thousand items, this query can take multiple seconds
to perform, due to the large number or ItemIds returned from the join query.

Has anyone come up with a better way to use joins for these types of queries?
Are there improvements planned in 4.0 rtm in this area?

Btw, I’ve explored simply adding Start-End times to items, but
the flat data model makes it hard to maintain start-end pairs.

Thanks for the help!

Eric.