StandardDirectoryFactory gets us partway there, but that's actually a
class that chooses an appropriate implementation at runtime based on
the parameters of the system it's being run on.

If you go to the status page off of the admin page and do a find on
"readerDir", I'm guessing you'll see
"org.apache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory"

So you have that 16GB to yourself, that's good. Have you told Tomcat
how much heap it can have? It's usually done with a setting like
-Xmx4g, but where that goes depends on how you installed Tomcat.

Have you watched Tomcat's RSIZE in 'top'? You should see it peak out
when your query pauses and then suddenly drop a significant amount.

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions | 18 East 41st St., Suite 1806 | New York, NY 10017
www.appinions.com
Where Influence Isn’t a Game