This is quite odd, it really sounds like you're not
actually committing. So, some questions.

1> What happens if you search before you shut
down your tomcat? Do you see docs then? If so,
somehow you're doing soft commits and never
doing a hard commit.

2> What happens if, as the last statement in your SolrJ
program you do a commit()?

3> While you're indexing, what do you see in your index
directory? You should see multiple segments being
created, and possibly merged so the number of
files should go up and down. If you only have a single
set of files, you're somehow not doing a commit.

4> Is there something really silly going on like your
restart scripts delete the index directory? Or you're
using a VM that restores a blank image?

5> When you do restart, are there any files at all
in your index directory?

I really suspect you've got some configuration problem
here....

Best
Erick