Hi all,
I am testing out the could features in Solr 4, and I have a observation about
the behavior under failure.

Following the cloud tutorial, I set up a collection with 2 shards.  I started 4
servers (so each shard is replicated twice).  I added the test documents, and
everything works fine.  If I kill one or two servers, everything continues to
work.  However, when three servers are killed, zero results are returned.  This
is an improvement over previous versions of the cloud branch where having
missing shards would result in an error, but I would have expected fewer
results rather than zero results.

It turns out that there is a parameter that can be added to a query to get
degraded results, but it is not described on the Solr cloud page.  It is on the
DistributedSearch page, but it is poorly defined, and difficult to locate
starting from the cloud page.

The way to get degraded results is to append:
shards.tolerant=true
to your Solr query.

Dave