Thanks a lot for your reply!!

This is the problem I face now when using dismax.

I have almost 30 fields (Some are dynamic fields from database) copied in to
copy field that is being used for default search. Now when I search using
dismax I need to include the boost for all the fields in the search query
else it returns only the result corresponding to the field in qf.

http://localhost:8983/solr/db/select?q=Stanley,%20robert&defType=dismax&qf=name

I get just one result for above query

http://localhost:8983/solr/db/select?q=Stanley,%20robert&defType=dismax&qf=name
lastupdatedBy

Now the search happens across 2 fields.

I want to boost a particular field but at the same time I want the results
that matches keyword from other fileds too.

Thanks,
BB