> I don't see that you have anything in the DIH that tells what columns from
> the query go into which fields in the index.  You need something like
>
> <field name="location" column="location" />
> <field name="amount" column="amount" />
> <field name="when" column="when" />

That is not completely true. If the columns have the same names as the fields,
the mapping is redundant. Nevertheless, it might be the problem. What I've
experienced with Oracle, at least, is that the columns would be returned in
uppercase even if my alias would be in lowercase. You might force it by adding
quotes, though. Or try adding

<field name="location" column="LOCATION" />
<field name="amount" column="AMOUNT" />
<field name="when" column="WHEN" />

You might check in your preferred SQL client how the column names are returned.
It might be an indicator. (At least, in my case they would be uppercase in SQL
Developer.)

Cheers,
Chantal