Why do you have 4 cores in the first place? The usual use-case
is that cores aren't for similar documents....

But the easiest thing to do would be to include the sort field
in the response and have the app (or whatever is aggregating
the 4 responses) sort the responses, essentially merging the
4 sets of documents. Paging will be a problem here though...

If the 4 cores are identical, why not
1> put them all in the same core
or
2> make them shards?