Right, examine the parsed query carefully and
you'll see that the semantics are much different.
At a guess, "auto" appears in more than one
field. So your first query is saying
"return me any documents for which "auto" appears
in any of the fields (text, media_transcript.....).

Your NOT clause is saying "return me the documents
for which "auto" does NOT appear in any of the fields
(text, media_transcript....).

You can't expect these to add up perfectly. Try using
something other than edismax or explicitly reference
the field as
q=text:auto
or
q=-text:auto