Guenter:

Are you using SolrCloud or straight Solr? And were you updating in
batches (i.e. updating multiple docs at once from SolrJ by using the
server.add(doclist) form)?

There was a bug in this process that caused various docs to show up
in various shards differently. This has been fixed in 4x, any nightly
build should have the fix.

I'm absolutely grasping at straws here, but this was a weird case that
I happen to know about...

Hossman:
of course this all goes up in smoke if you can reproduce this with any
recent compilation of the code.

FWIW
Erick