: I get sometimes (not often):
: SolrException e  where   e.code() ==
: SolrException.ErrorCode.SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE.code

Are there any errors in your solr server logs?
Are you using the DistributedUpdateProcessor (ie: SolrCloud) ?

There aren't many places in Solr that will throw a 503 status code, if i
had to guess i would suspect that your problem is you are committing too
often relative to the amount of warming you are doing, and exceeding the
max number of open searchers...

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#What_does_.22exceeded_limit_of_maxWarmingSearchers.3DX.22_mean.3F

: When I catch this exception, I try to commit again, the call doesn't throw,
: but the docs are not committed. Am I supposed to add docs again before

Hmmm... that is odd, i think we'd definitely need to see the logs from one
of these errors (and the lines leading up to it) to understand what might
be happening.

-Hoss