Just want to check I am not doing something obviously wrong before I file a
bug ticket.

In Solr 4.0Beta, in the admin UI in the Query panel,, there is a checkbox
option to check dismax or edismax
When you check one of those, text boxes for the dismax parameters are
exposed.  However, the query that gets sent to Solr is not actually a
dismax query.

<lst name="params">
<str name="mm">3</str>
<str name="pf">ocr^200</str>
<str name="debugQuery">true</str>
<str name="dismax">true</str>
<str name="tie">0.1</str>
<str name="q">fire-fly</str>
<str name="wt">xml</str>

<str name="rawquerystring">fire-fly</str>
<str name="querystring">fire-fly</str>
<str name="parsedquery">text:fire text:fly</str>

If a correct dismax query was being sent to Solr the parsedquery would have
something like the following:
<str name="parsedquery">(+DisjunctionMaxQuery(((text:fire text:fly)))

Tom Burton-West