No, you do not have to store anything for copyField to work. You're overthinking
the problem.

Way up top, when the original data comes in to a field (indexed or not, stored
or not) the schema is scanned for any copyfields that use the field for
a source. Then the whole input is sent to both fields, exactly as if you
added two fields separately to the document.

Please just try it, it'll short-circuit a ton of e-mails...

Best
Erick