Each field has a type. Each type defines what happens with the text.
You can certainly select to do one thing but not another.

Just look towards the bottom of the schema.xml and compare field types
definition for string and text, it should be fairly obvious. You'll
most probably make up a new type and use the definition from the
String, but add the lower-case filter. Just make sure that it is added
both for indexing and query time if there are two sections in there
(don't have my config right here).

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)