I am using a negative query boosting for a particular field as given in the
solr wiki
(*:* -field1:ABC XYZ)^1000

When I do a search now, the top results does not contain value "ABC XYZ"
from field1.

When I give a search value as ABC DEF and accordingly change the negative
query boosting in bq parameter,
I notice that the 1st result fetched has the value "ABC DEF" in field1.

My question is will the negative query boosting have to be changed for each
value searched or is
the results are returned based on the scoring for each fields?

I have not given any index time boosts and how does solr does scoring
internally for other fields?

I tested this search in two solr instances (solr 1.4 and solr 3.6.1) and the
scoring was higher in solr 3.6.1 compared to
solr 1.4 for the same string. I am using the same set of config files but I
am not sure why the scoring is higher in 3.6.1.

Please guide me.