Tomás,

Thanks for the response.

So basically at this point what I could do is to make a "best guess"
of my estimated index size and specify a few shards to start with. I
am guessing if I assigned too many shards, then the "join" between
different shards may be the bottleneck? On the other side, if I assign
only one or two shards, then each shard may become too big and the I/O
within each shard will be the bottleneck?

Then after a while of deployment, if we find out where the bottleneck
is, do we have a way to adjust the number of shards without breaking
the indexing and without require any downtime in production system?
Say I have 4 shards and each of them is 100GB. I found that the I/O is
the bottleneck and I want to use 8 shards instead - is there a good
way to redistribute the whole index from 4 existing shards to 8 shards
without breaking anything (and without a downtime)?

thanks!

Jason