Good question. I know xslt could output json, but you'd have to write a
stylesheet that transforms the xml into json. I'm not sure whether you
can influence the content-type for the output with the xslt response
writer though.

There's also the velocity response writer, which sits behind the /browse
interface, that might help you also.

Upayavira