: To answer your question, I tried both -Dsolr.solr.home and solr/home JNDI
: variable, in both cases I got the same result.
:
: I checked the logs several times, solr always only loads up the collection1,

That doesn't really answer any of the questions i was asking you.

*Before* solr logs anything about loading collection1, it will log
information about how/where it is locating the solr home dir and
solr.xml....

: if you look at the logging when solr first starts up, you should ese
: several messages about how/where it's trying to locate the Solr Home Dir
: ... please double check that it's finding the one you intended.
:
: Please give us more details about those log messages related to the solr
: home dir, as well as how you are trying to set it, and what your directory
: structure looks like in tomcat.

For example, this is what Solr logs if it can't detect either the system
property, or JNDI, and is assuming it should use "./solr" ...

Oct 16, 2012 8:48:52 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader locateSolrHome
INFO: JNDI not configured for solr (NoInitialContextEx)
Oct 16, 2012 8:48:52 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader locateSolrHome
INFO: solr home defaulted to 'solr/' (could not find system property or JNDI)
Oct 16, 2012 8:48:52 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader <init>
INFO: new SolrResourceLoader for deduced Solr Home: 'solr/'
Oct 16, 2012 8:48:53 AM org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter init
INFO: SolrDispatchFilter.init()
Oct 16, 2012 8:48:53 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader locateSolrHome
INFO: JNDI not configured for solr (NoInitialContextEx)
Oct 16, 2012 8:48:53 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader locateSolrHome
INFO: solr home defaulted to 'solr/' (could not find system property or JNDI)
Oct 16, 2012 8:48:53 AM org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer
initialize
INFO: looking for solr.xml: /home/hossman/lucene/dev/solr/example/solr/solr.xml

What do your startup logs look like as far as finding the solr home dir?

because my suspicion is that the reason it's not loading your
multicore setup, or complaining about malformed xml in your solr.xml
file, is because it's not fiding the directory you want at all.

-Hoss