Hi folks,

I am currently migrating our Solr servers from a 4.0.0 nightly build
(aprox. November 2011, which worked very well) to the newly released
4.0.0 and am running into some issues concerning the existing
DataImportHandler configuratiions. Maybe you have an idea where I am
going wrong here.

The following lines are a highly simplified excerpt from one of the
problematic imports:

<entity name="path" rootEntity="false" query="SELECT p.id, IF(p.name
IS NULL, '', p.name) AS name FROM path p GROUP BY p.id">

        <entity name="item" rootEntity="true" query="
                        SELECT
                                i.*,

CONVERT('${dataimporter.functions.escapeSql(path.name)}' USING
utf8) AS path_name
                        FROM items i
                        WHERE i.path_id = ${path.id}" />

</entity>

While this configuration worked without any problem for over half a
year now, when upgrading to 4.0.0-BETA AND 4.0.0 the Import throws the
followeing Stacktrace and exits:

 SEVERE: Exception while processing: path document :
null:org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandlerException:
java.lang.NullPointerException

which is caused by

        at
org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.EvaluatorBag$1.evaluate(EvaluatorBag.java:79)

In other words: The EvaluatorBag doesn't seem to resolve the given
path.name variable properly and returns null.

Does anyone have any idea?
Appreciate your input!

Regards
Dom