Further on that.... in recent versions of Solr, it's /browse, not the sillier
/itas handler name.

As far as the "best" search front end, it's such an opinionated answer here.
It all really depends on what technologies you'd like to deploy.  The library
world has created two nice front-ends that are more or less general purpose
enough to use for other (non-library) schemas, with a bit of configuration.
There's Blacklight (Ruby on Rails) and VuFind (PHP).  As the initial creator of
Blacklight, I'll toss in my vote for that one as the best :)  But again, it
depends on many factors what's the Right choice for your environment.

You can learn more about Blacklight at http://projectblacklight.org/, and see
many examples of it deployed in production here:
<https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight/wiki/Examples>

        Erik