Here's a great blog explaining one major difference between
3.x and 4.x:
http://www.searchworkings.org/blog/-/blogs/gimme-all-resources-you-have-i-can-use-them!/

In a nutshell, 3.x blocks on segment merges (which can be triggered by commits).

I've heard anecdotal accounts that pushing your rambuffer size much above 256M
doesn't help, you may want to lower it just to see if there's any difference....

But the key would be looking at CPU utilization on your server. If
that's near 100% (when not
merging in 3.x), you can't go any faster.

FWIW,
Erick