I'm having a problem importing data into Solr 4.0 (the same error happens
in 3.6.1).  Here is the Error I get:

2012-11-02 09:50:07.265:WARN:oejs.AbstractConnector:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
        at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:658)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.startThread(QueuedThreadPool
.java:436)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.dispatch(QueuedThreadPool.ja
va:361)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector$ConnectorEndPoint.dispatch(Soc
ketConnector.java:212)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector.accept(SocketConnector.java:11
6)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector$Acceptor.run(AbstractConnector.j
ava:933)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java
:599)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:
534)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

This error occurs after approximately 344k documents imported using 4100
calls and containing aproximately 40mb (raw xml, so the data is smaller).
The full import will be approximately 1300x this size if I'm able to
finish it.  I'm importing use Java's HttpURLConnection and my imports look
something like this:

(data in the name column is redacted but contains a 7-bit-clean string in
this example)

POST http://172.31.1.127:8983/solr/
<add>
  <doc>
    <field name="id">3841</field>
    <field name="name">...</field>
  </doc>
  <doc>
    <field name="id">3842</field>
    <field name="name">...</field>
  </doc>
    ...etc...
</add>

There is a single import HttpURLConnection - I have multiple threads and
they're mutexing on the connection - and the client seems to operate find
until the server throws this error, then the client pauses until it times
out, then tries again and generates more outofmemory errors. Also, as far
as I can tell, the documents that appear to have been imported never get
indexed.

The configuration being used is the one in the solr example folder.

How do I do my import into Solr?  I've seen reference to changing the
AutoCommit settings which I've tried to no effect.  I also found mention
of a similar problem to do with Alpha 4.0 ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer but
since I'm not sure how to change this so I haven't tried this
(http://www.searchworkings.org/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/489575).

Thanks,
Chris...