Just a quick comment from our experience: since we have quite a lot of data
indexed in our Solr, we take some extra measures to ensure, no bogus
wild-card queries are accepted by the system (for instance *, **, *** etc).
And that is done in the QueryParser. Wanted to mention this approach as one
way of handling simple query security checks.

-- Dmitry

--
Regards,

Dmitry Kan