Hi Floyd,

I don't think there is a general answer to that question.  You would have
to test it with your corpus/index and your queries.  If you have that and
if you can have 2 indices, one using BM25 and the other using VSM or
anything else you want to compare, you would want to do some A/B testing
and compare various metrics that indicates which search is better.  Have a
look at the picture on
http://blog.sematext.com/2012/01/06/relevance-tuning-and-competitive-advantage-via-search-analytics/to
see what I mean.

Otis