Hi Ken-

We've been running 1.3 and 4.0 as separate web apps within the same Tomcat
instance for the last 3 weeks with no issues. The only challenge for us was
refactoring our app client code to use SolrJ 4.0 to access both the the 1.3 and
4.0 backends. The calls to the 1.3 backend use the XML response format while
the 4.0 backend use the Java binary format.

-James