I guess without knowing more about the usecase, it is difficult to see
whether it is best to ship pre-prepared indexes or indexable content.
Certainly the latter would be far simpler, and more in-keeping with the
way Solr is typically used, and personally I'd start with that.

Thinking through what you're saying - clients may update at any time -
i.e. they won't all be forced to accept every update on every occasion -
you will loose much ability to ship partial indexes. As segments get
merged over time, you'd need to ship partial indexes against all of the
possible states that might exist out there, and that would simply be
prohibitive.

Upayavira