Hi Jack,
 My query was simple /solr/select?query=ipad apple apple0ipad
and doc contained "apple ipad" .

If you see the patch attached with the bug 3215 , you will find following
comment. I want to confirm whether the behaviour I am observing is in sync
with what the patch developer intended or its just some regression bug. In
solr 3.4 phrase order is honored, whereas in solr 4.0 phrase order is not
honored, i.e. "apple ipad" and "ipad apple" both treated as same.

""

 /**
+   * Score a candidate doc for all slop-valid position-combinations (matches)
+   * encountered while traversing/hopping the PhrasePositions.
+   * <br> The score contribution of a match depends on the distance:
+   * <br> - highest score for distance=0 (exact match).
+   * <br> - score gets lower as distance gets higher.
+   * <br>Example: for query "a b"~2, a document "x a b a y" can be
scored twice:
+   * once for "a b" (distance=0), and once for "b a" (distance=2).
+   * <br>Possibly not all valid combinations are encountered, because
for efficiency
+   * we always propagate the least PhrasePosition. This allows to base on
+   * PriorityQueue and move forward faster.
+   * As result, for example, document "a b c b a"
+   * would score differently for queries "a b c"~4 and "c b a"~4, although
+   * they really are equivalent.
+   * Similarly, for doc "a b c b a f g", query "c b"~2
+   * would get same score as "g f"~2, although "c b"~2 could be matched twice.
+   * We may want to fix this in the future (currently not, for
performance reasons).
+   */

""