The problem is not necessary xml - it seems to be anything that is not valid
javabin - I've just most often seen it with 404s that return an html error.

I'm not sure if there is a jira issue or not, but this type of thing should be
failing in a more user friendly way.

As to why your response is corrupt, I have no guesses.

This is easily repeatable? It's happening every time, or randomly?

- Mark