Thanks Mark. Unfortunately I only took log file backup of the Solr instance
which failed.

Even if we stopped and started all instances in a shard at same time, isn't
there a possibility that the Solr Instance with less data (or no data) might
declare itself leader and the one with the data will start copying the empty
index folder from the leader?

We tried using the latest branch_4x few weeks back and hit the  SOLR-4144
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4144>  issue. Although it was
fixed in a day, we decided to use the released version only (4.0) since we
cannot have such extended periods of outage.

We are looking forward to 4.1 and will start using it as soon as its
released.

--Shreejay