My understanding is core is a logical solr term. Index is a physical lucene
term. A solr core is backed by a physical lucene index. One index per core.
Solr team can correct me if its not accurate. :)

-------- Original message --------
From: Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafa...@gmail.com>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Terminology question: Core vs. Collection vs...

Can I just start by saying that this was AMAZING. :-) When I asked the
question, I certainly did not expect this level of details.

And I vote on the cake diagram for WIKI as well. Perhaps, two with the
first one showing the trivial collapsed state of single
collection/shard/replica/core. The trivial one will also help to explain
why the example is now called 'collection1'.

I think I followed everything, except for just added term of 'index'. Isn't
that the same as 'core'? Or can we have several indexes in one core?

Regards,
   Alex.
- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)