Hello FF,

Something like SPM for Solr will help you understand what's making Solr
slow - CPU maxed? Disk IO? Swapping? Caches too small? ...

There are no general rules/recipes, but once you see what is going on we
can provide guidance.

Yes, you can have 1 or more replicas of a shard.

Otis
--
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/