Atomic updates work by storing (stored="true") all the fields (note, you
don't have to set stored="true" for the destinations of copyField). Anyway,
when you use the atomic update syntax under the covers Solr reads all the
stored fields out, re-assembles the document and re-indexes it. So your
index may be significantly larger. Also note that in the 4.1 world, stored
fields are automatically compressed so this may not be so much of a problem.

And, there's been at least 1 or 2 fixes to this since 4.0 as I remember, so
you might want to wait for 4.1 to experiment with (there's talk of cutting
RC1 for Solr4.1 early next week) or use a nightly build.

Best
Erick