Mike,

When Lucene's Analyser indexes the text it adds positions into the index
which are lately used by SpanQueries. Have you considered idea of position
increment gap? e.g. the first sentence is indexed with words positions:
0,1,2,3,... the second sentence with 100,101,102,103,..., third
200,201,202.. Then applying some span constraint allows you search
across/inside of the sentences.
WDYT?

--
Sincerely yours