I implemented the date boosting function outline here, placed into the boost parameter in the request handler:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery#Date_Boosting

Today it was reported to me that this boosting is producing terrible results. A close look at the description reveals that this isn't so much a boost on new content as it is a negative boost on old content. This isn't what I want.

What I need to have happen is that content added today gets a small (and easily configurable) boost, content added yesterday gets a slightly smaller boost, tapering down to approximately two to four weeks in the past, at which point there would be no boost at all. A document that's a month old would have the same boost (none) as a document that's 50 years old.

Can someone figure out the formula for this?

Thanks,
Shawn