You should not need to use wildcards.

Most configurations of Solr will index space-separated words as separate
tokens. They can be matched separately.

DId you use a string field type (probably the wrong choice)? How are your
fields tokenized?

Solr/Lucene query syntax:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrQuerySyntax
http://lucene.apache.org/core/3_6_0/queryparsersyntax.html

The analysis page in the admin UI is your friend here. You can put in text for
the index and the query, choose a field type, and see how it is tokenized and
matched.

wunder