Hi,

            I am really
new to Solr, and I have never used anything similar to it before. So please
pardon my ignorance. I downloaded  Solr
4.0 from http://lucene.apache.org/solr/downloads.html and start it using the
commandline:

>java -jar start.jar

This generates a number of INFO log messages to the console,
that I would like to better view.

            What is the
best way to send these log messages to a file? I see a logs directory, but it
seems to be empty. I first tried to add the log4j.properties in the “etc”
directory as mentioned in http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging.
I then started solr on the commandline:

>java -jar start.jar
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:etc/log4j.properties

This does not give me any log files. I would appreciate any
ideas in this regard i.e. the easiest way to get logging into the example app.

Thank you,
O. O.