Thanks, though I am still confused.

How about this one:

manu:apple => 1 hit
+name:video => 2 hits

manu:apple +name:video => 2 hits

Solr ignores the manu:apple part completely?

Cheers,
Anders.

Den 22/01/13 23.16, Jack Krupansky skrev:
The first query:

   name:ipod OR -name:ipod => 0 hits

The "OR" and "-" are actually at the same level of the BooleanQuery, so the "-" overrides the OR so it's equivalent to:

   name:ipod -name:ipod => 0 hits

For the second query:

   (name:ipod) OR (-name:ipod) => 3 hits

Pure negative queries are supported only at the top level, so the "(-name:ipod)" matches nothing, so the query is equivalent to:

   (name:ipod) => 3 hits

You can simply insert a "*:*" to assure that it is not a pure negative query inside the parentheses: