Interesting, that sounds like a bit of an issue really, the cloud is
"hiding" the real error.  Presumably the non ok status: 500 (buried at the
bottom of your trace) was where the actual shard was returning the error
(we've had issues with positional stuff before and it normally says
something obvious like "field X wasn't indexed with positions data but
requires it"(sic).

Presumably the cloud gets the 500 from 1 server, and can't tell the
difference between an error like that (which means the query/data is
wrong), and the shard being down.  So it tries on another replica, gets the
same error, etc...  Would there be any way for the load balancer to detect
the difference between those types of errors?

I guess the morale of the story is to try your queries on a single system
before you migrate to replicas :)